I Got Laid Off

 


The above photo of me is from 2013.  It was taken from a webcam at my desk.  I further processed the photo to black & white for that "50's vibe" thing because I had a short haircut, crisp white shirt, thick black glasses, and serious pose.

Those days are long gone, and I got word on Tuesday that I was being let go after 21 years.  I was titled as a "Senior Software Test Analyst", which is kind of a hybrid position.  

I've always been a software tester in my career since about 1994 when I worked for an investment company and got roped into what they called a "telecommuting pilot" - an early version of "work from home".  My then-employer put a very expensive ISDN line in my house and I did my normal job, but I also had to overcome and test out numerous technical and security issues.  Since 1997, I've mostly worked with programmers, business analysts, requirements analysts, project manager, occasionally the project setup people, production support, DevOps, technical writers, and many others.

I did a lot of work in JIRA (epic, story, defect, bug, task, and sub-task management), to the point where I jokingly called myself the "JIRA Janitor".  On a big project, so many "issues" are being opened and dealt with (or not being dealt with, or fall through the cracks...) that project management can spin out of control without somebody regularly monitoring it through JIRA filters and dashboards.

And I did a lot of work in Confluence, documenting many things for colleagues (or my brain, because I can't remember everything...), and regularly convincing the Senior Business Analyst to rewrite the official requirements because the programmers improved upon a requirement with their code.  It's easier and cheaper to rewrite a requirement than code.

For the most part, I never talk about my actual "day job" work.  Maybe vaguely, but never in a way that reveals anything specific about the project.

Likewise, I can't really say anything about the layoff because I signed a bunch of paperwork.  

I also signed a "non-disparage agreement", too.

They did me a favor.  That's how I have to look at it. 

I'd like to continue to work, mainly as a "technical business analyst", and there are a lot of this type of role where I'm living now.  Even more "remote" gigs.  And there's always "contract" work, which I am totally open to doing.

I like the work I did in my day jobs.  I like solving problems and improving things.  I've always been a high performer in the past.  It's not about being a workaholic.  I've always been innovative with various aspects of my work, and I could talk for hours about how I do that sort of thing.  

Again, they did me a favor.  That's how I have to look at it...

*

How does this translate over to the visual art business?  

I certainly have more time to make art, do marketing, and continue with gaining traction.  But let's be realistic, I'm still in "gaining traction" mode and it would be foolish to throw myself into the art biz now.


This week's stats on the art biz continue to improve.  IG, YT, and FB all improved with subs.  I've done a lot of video live streams.  My wife and I did some "artist recon" in the past week at a couple of local events.  I'd like to be an artist selling in those types of things later in 2023, so it's a good idea to go to them and get a feel for what's out there.

I must admit that I lost the interest to follow the rest of the "Black Friday" art marketing playbook.  It's understandable.  The last couple of years seems like I'm endlessly in the Bardo.  I'd just like to spend the next few weeks adding artworks to my site, continuing to do video live streams, and maybe holding the occasional sale.  

It's OK.  I'm doing fine.  I go to the gym every day, but not always to work out.  In the evenings, I like to go back to visit the sauna or steam room, and dip in the hot whirlpool.  It's relaxing.  I need that "thinking time" to process everything.

Next week is Thanksgiving, and that's going to be a lot of fun.  Looking forward to it.

I've been making some very good paintings lately.  The work has not suffered.  I'm definitely experimenting and attempting to pivot.


That's it for now...

*

Who am I?  

I'm Mark Rushton, a professional recording artist and fine artist who has managed to hang on to creativity.  

I've released music and sounds since the early 2000s under many different names, including my own.  I largely create ambient, beat-driven electronica, and avant-garde music and soundscapes, as well as field recordings and sound effects.  

I'm also a fine artist / painter, making original paintings, limited edition prints, and functional merchandise.


Mark Rushton Gallery:  https://www.markrushtongallery.com
Mark Rushton Web Site:  https://www.markrushton.com
Mark Rushton Gallery Blog:  https://markrushtongallery.blogspot.com

Music links:  

License Mark Rushton's Music for your project:   https://www.markrushton.com/musicservices/



Services I Use:

Airtable referral code:  https://airtable.com/invite/r/M3Ydt3Ze
Walmart+ Referral Code:  http://share.walmartplus.com/mark8673
Songtrust Referral Code:  (save $10):  https://app.songtrust.com/signup/?discount_code=178652a-Ecs



Popular posts from this blog

Getting Ready for the Black Friday Sale

Mark Rushton Black Friday Sale on Prints, Tote Bags, and Magnetic Art - Ends November 19th!